Wednesday, March 12

What is GREEN?


There have been many articles written lately on the prospect of being a green company or living a green lifestyle. I have been pondering this very subject ever since I took my Environmental Science class while earning my Business degree some time ago.

Throughout the course, I was horrified and ashamed to discover my everyday habits and actions that were leaving a negative impression on the Earth. Oh, all the batteries and burnt-out light bulbs that I carelessly tossed into the trash can! The years of using chemical-laden 'commercial' bath and laundry soaps....4 years' worth of disposable baby diapers....all the product packaging that could have or should have been recycled! I cried. Seriously.

The positive side of all this is that now I am a better consumer and a much more conscientious jewelry 'manufacturer.' I have researched ways to not only conserve energy but also to reduce the amount of trash my household and business produces.

Though, like many Americans, I struggle with the cost (dollars) of being green, and the (in)convenience. My most recent quandary is paper plates vs. hand washing. On one end I am disposing of paper (which is bought from the store in a plastic bag) in a plastic garbage bag that will end up in a landfill. The more paper I use, the quicker the bag fills and the more plastic garbage bags I use. On the other end I am washing a plate with dish soap (which comes in a plastic bottle) which goes down the drain...and let's not forget all the water I am using. Oh, and the sponge, which harbors bacteria and will eventually be thrown away. Then I will buy a new sponge which comes in plastic wrap or at the very least a cardboard/paper box.

Well, I stopped using sponges and now use those green-colored scrubbies. They tend to last longer than the sponges and dry-out between uses, so the bacteria factor is slightly reduced. The brand that I buy only has a narrow cardboard/paper band around them, so the waste is minimized when I buy new ones. I'm still on the lookout for a more environmentally friendly dish soap, so if you'd like to recommend one, please leave a comment.

I know it's not much, but my hopes that are if everyone made tiny adjustments....it could make a huge difference. My new philosophy/mission is using less creates less (garbage). So I hunt for products with less packaging, shred junk mail (then recycle it!), shop Goodwill, and generally find new uses for 'old' things (raggedy towels become draft dodgers).

While I'm far from being 100% GREEN, I have made many lifestyle changes that will reduce my 'footprint' on the Earth. I just hope that it's not too late...for any of us!
Oh, and my business? I recycle my scrap metals, packaging peanuts, bubble wrap, and cardboard boxes whenever possible. I try to find more natural ways to create my art. For example, I use beeswax as a lubricant instead of petroleum based products. I hope to find even more green solutions in the near future!
If you have more any ideas, suggestions, or examples...leave a comment!

No comments: