Monday, November 12

Artist Feature - PAULETTE INSALL



Portland Oregon resident, Paulette Insall, is an artist. A painter, if you will. Though, she never thought of herself as an artist until a few years ago. For many years Paulette dreamed of painting, but could never bring herself to pick up a paint brush until October of 2006. That's when her love of creating stories with paint and paper began!

This is what Paulette had to say about her art, "My art is about the search for connection…to self, to like minded spirits, to family, and to God. Most of my work depicts a sole woman because these are the stories of my own personal search and the emotions they invoke within my soul. My hope is that the visual stories I create with my art touch people from all walks of life and let them know that they are not alone…and find comfort in that knowing."

Beautifully and so precisely said. It is obvious to me the emotion and depth Paulette has put into the many faces of her characters. One of my favorites (pictured above) is titled, "Follow." The woman's flowing hair seems to be pulling her in a direction she isn't quite sure she should go, but she is curious as to the path it may lead her down. To me, butterflies are a symbol of hope, rebirth and transformation. Perhaps the path is the path from adolescence into adulthood? Perhaps she is on a journey of self-discovery? You decide!

For more examples of Paulette's art, go to http://pauletteinsall.etsy.com/

Images copyright Paulette Insall

No comments: