Wednesday, September 17

More REBRANDING

While my talented and uber-awesome DH works on my website and Blog, my job and focus has been on the aesthetics and eco-friendliness of the 'new' Elements by Dawn. Like I have mentioned before, the color scheme will remain mostly intact and my logo will not change. (After all, when was the last time Coca-Cola changed their logo and colors?!)

In addition to an updated website and new Blog, my packaging will also change. I currently use white paper boxes, which while very nice looking and gender neutral, are not as environmentally friendly as I would like. As most folks know, in order for paper to become white it is traditionally bleached. The bleaching process releases all sorts of nasty chemicals into the environment. I say, "no thank you!" I will be phasing in non-bleached paper boxes which also happen to be made from 100% recycled boxboard! I've also sourced new ribbon. The new ribbon is made from 70% post consumer waste and 30% post industrial scrap and uses water-based inks. How cool is that?!

My shipping boxes are currently recyclable and contain 30% post consumer waste. I'm satisfied with my shipping box supplier, though if I find a higher percentage of recycled material content with a different supplier, I may switch too.

I'm a little on the fence when it comes to packing peanuts. Yes, I know there are peanuts made from biodegradable cornstarch. I'm not 100% sold on that idea...yet. I have had some experience with the cornstarch peanuts and I'm afraid if one of my packages gets left in the rain or otherwise becomes damp, the recipient will have a gooey mess in their box. That's not the impression I want to make.

I currently use Styrofoam peanuts. I like them because I (and my customers) can reuse them over and over again. I have yet to purchase packing peanuts in the many years I have been in business. I like that! When I receive some peanuts in a box, I save them and reuse them. Sure, I have just about every color and shape of peanut imaginable, but they protect the merchandise just fine. :) What is YOUR take on the Styrofoam vs. cornstarch peanut? Or should I use some other material for padding and protection?

No comments: