Friday, August 15

Shopping, art, etc!

As a lover of all things sparkly, I happened upon Miner's North Jewelers in downtown Traverse City.


I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff and the variety of handcrafted jewelry. Yes, I said HANDCRAFTED! Granted, I know a few of their lines do not meet my definition of handcrafted, yet still it was surprising and refreshing to see some handcrafted jewelry in an upscale shop.

The area also hosted a number of pottery galleries/studios. Though pottery seemed prevalent, the styles varied from one locale to the next. Many shops and boutiques featured local artists and a few not-as-local artists too. Hilborn Pottery is a Canadian company which started in 1975 by husband and wife team, Rick and Nancy Hilborn. I love the undulating swirls and curls in their pieces! Elegant, beautiful, textural...just up my ally!

Of course I was tickled when I happened upon Earthenwood Studio's ceramic beads in a little bead shop too! It's surprising and oh-so-exciting to recognize a fellow crafter's work in a shop. :)

Oh, and there is at least one more gem of a shop too...The Grocer's Daughter. Yes, it's a CHOCOLATE shop!! The owner and chocolatesmith was in the shop helping with customers and making us feel right at home. Though we only purchased a few truffles, we happily enjoyed them in the little seating area tucked away in the corner of the store. The seats were big and comfy and situated around a small table covered in magazines and other interesting reading materials. Behind the small display counter you could see (and smell!) all sorts of chocolate-making paraphernalia and racks of chocolate cooling and getting ready to be enjoyed by others'. Pure heaven.

Hmmm...as I write this I'm feeling a bit guilty for not bringing home more goodies to share with friends and families. :( Well, if you ever decide to vacation or just drive through the Traverse City area, you'll know where to stop...

Well, back to business...

No comments: