Monday, July 9

When it's all said and DONE

It's Monday, July 9th, 8:00am. I'm just rolling out of bed after a wonderfully long weekend in Milwaukee.

ART vs. CRAFT is one of the best shows I have ever participated in. The promoters did an outstanding job of organizing and advertising the show.

Unloading and setting up was painless, and tearing down at night was easy too. The crowds were plentiful and very diverse.

My booth was situated between MaryInk and a "newbie" clothing designer. I think her name was Emily. Next to "Emily" was RelishDress. MaryInk is from Tennessee and travels with her boyfriend to many of the Eastern and Midwestern indie shows selling their handmade silk-screened T-shirts. "Emily" is a newlywed and was there with her husband, Pat. She also made silk-screened tank tops and wonderful oil-cloth aprons and capes. "Emily" and Pat were locals from the Milwaukee area. RelishDress was also there with her husband and sold hand crocheted earrings and necklaces. RelishDress is from Flint, Michigan.

And then there was me. I did the show by myself and was selling my Argentium, fine silver, and copper jewelry.

As you can see, the vendors were quite a diverse bunch too.

I also met many wonderful shoppers, many of whom either had taken a jewelry making class or were currently enrolled in a class. As an artist it always makes my heart flutter when I here "I tried making jewelry and it's hard work" or "your pieces are so elegant" and my favorite comment of the weekend came from a gentleman who simply referred to himself as a Visual Artist, said, "your work is elegant, simplistic, with great lines." I just about melted. Nothing makes me happier than to have customers recognize the thought and intention behind my work!

Next: Tips I learned at the show...

No comments: