Thursday, July 26

Interview with Linda Hartman



Name: Linda Hartman

Company: PaperNClay

Years in Business: About 2 1/2 years. I started selling polymer clay canes and a few beads on eBay first then I started selling on Etsy a year and a half ago. I prefer to think of it as just playing and sharing the results to help cover the cost of my addiction.

Location: Lebanon, Pennsylvania

Where can we find your work?: http://www.papernclay.etsy.com/

EbD: Everyone asks this question, but what is your first memory of creating art or crafting?
Linda: When I was 7 or 8 years old my mother/Santa got me a kit to make a pink crocheted potholder. It was basically a round piece in a single crochet. My mother didn't know how to crochet but my grandmother showed me how and sent me home to finish. I returned to her a few times to fix my bunched up potholder because it wasn't laying flat like it was supposed to. I was very proud and my mother used the potholder for years to come even though I know it was ..........rough.

EbD: What do you feel is the most important lesson you've learned about being in the crafting business?
Linda: One has to firstly enjoy what they're doing or it just won't go well. That's most important.

EbD: What do you wish you would have known before opening your business?
Linda: Organizational skills are what I'd like to fine tune. My work station is a horror.
Most of the time I find what I'm looking for, I guess that's what matters most?

EbD: Do you have any techniques or skills you're interested in learning or would like to learn in the future?
Linda: I will always be looking into new and different areas of the arts and crafts world. I've done a lot of things but there's so many more out there and I'd like to go where ever my path takes me.

Ebd: What is you favorite medium to work in, and why?
Linda: I honestly don't have one favorite but many right now. I'm thoroughly enjoying the art of fusing glass and right along with that I love playing with polymer clay, then there's origami. I don't think I can choose one favorite.
I also volunteer at my church providing the children with crafts at their functions. A task that involves a constant search for items that lend themselves well for a child attention span and skill level. A rewarding effort but very time consuming effort that encourages me to keep doors always open to new ideas.

Ebd: How do you feel the craft industry has changed since you first began crafting?
Linda: It has definitely become more popular again to create. The trend seems to be making a full circle.We went through a stage where it wasn't quite as cool to craft but we're back to the way it should be. :)

EbD: Do you feel this is a positive change, negative change, or maybe a little of both?
Linda: Definitely positive for me. I enjoy creating. I work as a floral designer as my full-time occupation and I am best when I'm making something at work and at home.

EbD: What are three words that describe you or your craft?
Linda: unique- my kids will tell you I'm very unique,
creative-I don't give up till I can figure out a way of achieving my goal. I can be very creative on how I do that!
enjoyable- I find what I do most enjoyable!

If you would like to see more examples of Linda's work and read about her crafting adventures, look here: http://www.papernclay.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Smokeylady60 said...

GREAT INTERVIEW.......

papernclay said...

Thanks Dawn!