Thursday, April 26

WHAT do I do?

Good question. Have you been able to pin-piont exactly what it is you do? Sure, it's easy to define your work through the process it takes to create the work. Example:
  • I paint. Therefore, I'm a painter. I make and sell paintings.
  • I string beads. Therefore, I'm a beader. I make and sell beaded items.
  • I make clay pots. Therefore, I'm a potter. I make and sell pottery.

Now it is time to really expand the definition of your work. Saying, "I'm a painter" doesn't really SAY anything about your work. (my 3 year old nephew is a painter too!) Take for instance, an art museum. Every wall is sure to be covered in paintings, but each painting is different. Unique. Not just in subject matter, but technique too. Bold, subtle, modern, still life, nonobjective, etc.

Let's take a baby step. "I am an impressionistic painter." This one word adds so much definition to your work. People can almost picture in their minds what it is you do now. Maybe take another step. "I am an impressionistic painter who works in a warm color palette."

Why is this important? Because if you can't define your work, how can anyone else? Defining your work gives you focus, purpose, a direction, a style, meaning, life. Imagine you are being interviewed by your local newspaper as an up-and-coming-artist....what would you say about your work to make people interested in knowing more about YOU and your WORK.

If your having trouble defining your work, ask a friend or relative for some input. Lay out a bunch of your pieces, and ask them to come up with a word or three that describes your work. Watch them carefully. Look for emotion. Read their body language. If they are having a hard time coming up with any words...back to the drawing board for you!

Next: more defining your style...

No comments: