Thursday, October 30

Halloween

While I like Halloween, I really don't consider myself a die-hard fan. In fact, the last time I donned a costume I was probably 12 years old. I was Mother Nature. I had a crown of artificial flowers in my hair, sprinkled on a little mystical glitter and wore a long white belted gown. I did not collect candy that year. I simply chaperoned my little sister around the neighborhood. She had fun, I felt awkward.

Now that I have children, I can see the same thing happening. My 11 year old son isn't feeling the Halloween spirit and I can sense my 9 year old is really questioning the whole dressing-up thing. Don't get me wrong, they still want to get their hands on some candy, but I think they'd be just as happy if I bought a bag from the store and gave it to them. :)

Here in the Midwest, or at least my corner of Wisconsin, a strange thing happens every Halloween. The local city government tells US when Halloween will take place. For example, if Halloween (October 31st) falls on a weekday, trick-or-treating will most likely fall a few days before the actual event. This year, trick-or-treating was on October 26th. The next city over is having Halloween on this Friday, the 31st. So, in reality, kids and adults can really pack in the Halloween fun, if you're willing to do a little traveling.

No comments: