Tuesday, January 15

Getting over the FEAR

I'm terrified to participate in outdoor craft shows! Simply terrified. Worse, almost all the late spring and summer shows in my area are all outdoors. I just know Mother Nature will have it in for me and blow my entire tent and all my precious jewelry into the Lake. Gone forever!

Now some large indoor shows do happen in the summer, however they are several hours away. In comes fear number 2. I have an awful sense of direction, truly. There is a running joke in my family that I can get lost in my own neighborhood. Sad fact is, it's true!

This past year I discovered and reconfirmed the fact that my jewelry does not sell at smaller venues. If the gate is under 1,000 my sales have been pitiful. If the venue does not advertise and promote to my target customer, I have very poor results. So, after my last small show in October of last year, I swore off these types of shows. Mind you, I did learn valuable lessons at these shows, but frankly, I could have much better spent my time (10+ hours a day) developing new products, marketing, updating my blog, etc.

Therefore, in order to participate in ANY craft fairs this year I will need to conquer at least one of my fears. Do I suck it up, get a tent and sell locally? Or do I risk getting lost on the way to Madison? Or do I stop doing craft fairs all together and focus on consignment and wholesale accounts? Hmmmm...there's and interesting (and scaredy-cat) idea!?

1 comment:

hsoray said...

When I started my biz, I had to try all different ways to advertise myself. I started with craft shows. Even now, I am willing to try lots of different avenues. And I have to experience them to know if I will continue to do them in the future. Since my products are high quality, the local craft shows did not benefit me in terms of sales. Still,I enjoyed speaking with people and meeting others. So it was a nice atmosphere to experience. :)